Recent Water Damage Posts
24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service in Winneshiek County
SERVPRO of Decorah provides 24-hour fire and water damage restoration service in Winneshiek and surrounding counties.
SERVPRO of Decorah is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help. Call Today - (563) 277-1615
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Decorah has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Decorah
SERVPRO of Decorah specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke, or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet Our Crew - CLICK HERE.
Ceiling Vent Leads to Fire and Water Damage
Water damage often happens during a Fire.
A Decorah home received fire and water damage after a ceiling exhaust fan inside the laundry room caught on fire. Some reasons why an exhaust/bathroom fan may catch fire is faulty wiring or it may be clogged with dust or dirt, overheating it. This particular fire was fortunately contained inside the laundry room, although smoke did reach nearby rooms. The fire was put out by water which affected the ceiling and insulation.
SERVPRO AVAILABLE 24/7
This fire occurred on a Saturday. Although SERVPRO is available 24/7 for Emergency Services, the homeowner did decide that they would wait till Monday to call a professional to help with cleaning and smoke removal. Monday morning, we received the call! She explained the situation and shared what areas probably needed focused cleanings. The garage, laundry room, and nearby hallway had a very strong smoke odor.
By the afternoon, our project manager, Sam Whitehead, met with the homeowner to inspect the damage and come up with a plan of action. After a visual inspection, he briefed the homeowner on a course of action to restore her home. This included:
- Cleaning debris in the laundry room.
- Removing affected insulation from the attic.
- Cleaning and removing soot from the garage, laundry room, and living room.
- Drying the wet ceiling in the laundry room and dining room.
- Setting up an air scrubber to help with removing the smoke odor.
The homeowner approves the work!
The next day, our production technicians arrived at the home with the equipment to start cleaning, drying, and restoring. They removed wet insulation from the attic and placed air movers pointed upward at the ceiling so it would dry quicker. They dry sponged the walls and ceilings of the affected rooms to remove the soot. Electricians were scheduled to come in the next day so our team focused on removing all the debris from around the washer and dryer and swept the floor from the laundry room. An air scrubber was set up inside the laundry room to tackle the smoke odor.
The following days consisted of:
- Washing the walls, trim, and light fixtures.
- Putting the laundry in a bag for the homeowners.
- Sweeping and mopping the floors.
- Wiping soot and dust from every crevice and every item located in the affected rooms.
- Cleaning the garage floors with power washing equipment.
- Cleaning the tile grout in the laundry room.
We completed the work within 4 days!
We are proud to be a team of quality people who focus on excellent service, fairness, and mutual respect. If you need help with premier cleaning and restoration, trust SERVPRO! Give us a call at (563) 277-1615.
Water Leak in Laundry Room
We are serious about DRYING.
On February 9th, we received a call to help clean and restore after water damage. A washing machine on the main floor malfunctioned and leaked water, affecting two levels of a residential home. The affected areas were the master bedroom, laundry room, and basement.
SERVPRO TO THE RESCUE
Our team headed over immediately! The team began by assessing the water damage and marking areas of concern with blue tape. This helps determine where the focus should be. They used a moisture reader and thermal camera to find moisture in the walls, ceilings, floorings, and carpets. Our technicians set up a floor mat drying system on the affected hardwood floors to extract water from underneath them. They also pulled out carpet pads from underneath the bedroom carpets and disposed of them. Generally, carpet pads absorb water making the drying process take longer. We recommended removing it to avoid mold growth. In this home, due to the size of the basement and the type of carpet, the pad was not removed and a technician used a weighted water extraction tool to remove extra water. The basement required additional air movers and dehumidifiers to make sure it all dried quickly.
DRY UP MOISTURE ASAP
Now it was time to start drying. Our technicians set up 20 air movers, 1 dehumidifier, and an Injectidry in the basement. The Injectidry is a fan with hose attachments and is used for more concentrated drying. The hoses were placed in holes that were drilled in the ceiling. On the main floor, the technicians removed the affected trim and baseboard in the hallway, laundry room, and bedroom. Five fans were set up to dry the walls. During the next few days, our team did daily moisture checks to make sure everything was drying in a timely manner and removed equipment as needed.
Need Help with Water Damage?
SERVPRO of Decorah is equipped and trained to help after a water-related disaster, big or small. Give us a call at (563) 277-1615.
Do some yard work!
The grass is greener on your side, you just have to do some yard work. ??
It’s getting hot in here so take off all your…. Leaves from those gutters!
Better weather is headed our way! Spring is sprung! We encourage you to use the social distancing requirement on spring cleaning outside your home. We are custom to live keeping us running and are often too busy to tend to home maintenance projects.
Here is the opportunity to look at (or make) the to-do list for needed repairs. Use this excuse to spruce up the physical space our homes are located on. Soak up the sun, breathe in the fresh air, and care for your home sweet home.
12 Tips to a Healthy Home
- Clean out gutters. This can prevent water from overflowing and seeping into your home.
- Pick up pet feces and rake the leaves.
- Pick up branches and twigs and stack them up, using them for bonfires.
- Clean exterior windows and check the window trim for damage.
- Inspect your exterior dryer vent for lint buildup. Clean or replace ASAP.
- Check for rotting wood on your deck or stairs that may be a hazard and repair.
- Seal gaps around your home’s foundation where insects, rodents, and rain could enter.
- Clean out basement window wells and make sure there are no drafts or cracked panes.
- Clean, repair, or replace window screens, especially if your puppy ate them all. (Personal experience…)
- Fill all the holes that your puppy dug up. (But I love her!)
- Fill in low areas of your lawn with dirt or rock, particularly alongside the house where water can collect.
- Clean your air conditioner unit or arrange for a professional to conduct a checkup.
We believe this will benefit your home, and possibly support your physical and mental health during this time of isolation. We want to inspire you to stay active while we are apart, and life’s activities have slowed down. Netflix is okay from time to time but maybe enjoy some sun and binge on the bright side!
WATER DAMAGE IN YOUR HOME? Call 563-277-1615.