Heavy Rains: Friend or Foe?
Living in Iowa, we go through periods of time where people pray for rain during dry spells. There is no doubt that rain can be our friend when we are in need of hydration. On the other hand, rain can hold the title of a foe. When heavy rains occur, our homes are vulnerable to water damage. Now, we know that rain can be a breath of fresh air and it’s not logical to think that you can control mother nature. That is why SERVPRO is here to give you some helpful ideas for preventing water damage during heavy rains.
PLAN YOUR LANDSCAPING
The way that you arrange your landscaping can serve as a preventative measure when considering water damage.
- Plant trees away from the home so branches are clear from your roof and windows.
- Create a rain garden so that when large amounts of water drain, they are not draining in the direction of your home.
- Consider using a higher quality mulch. Certain types of mulch can help prevent water from seeping into your home.
SEAL WINDOWS & FIX SMALL DAMAGES
Sealing potential openings for water in your home could be a huge money saver! If your roof has even a tiny bit of damage, the chance of water getting in is higher than if your roof or home is completely sealed off to the elements.
- Adding window stripping around your doors and windows is a great way to ensure that they are sealed.
- Get your roof inspected by a professional.
SUMP PUMP MAINTENANCE & BACKUP
It is common for people’s sump pumps to malfunction when heavy rains occur, we see this a lot as professionals in the restoration business.
- Get a sump pump battery backup.
- Maintain your sump pump and check it frequently to ensure everything is working properly.
These precautions are just a few options, there are so many more measures you can take against water damage that will save you a boatload of money in the future!
If water decides to break up with you as a friend and become your foe, call SERVPRO of Decorah today, we are here to help!